Sunday, March 29, 2020

Anansi Boys/American Gods Response

As I read, Anansi Boys it was clear that there was some relation between Anansi Boys and American Gods. Gaiman tends to take the unknown or mysterious and relate it to the real world, combining two things that would fortunately create a whole new world. I felt as though I couldn’t write a response without comparing his two novels, Anansi Boys and American Gods. And, being that I had already read American Gods it helped me in terms of perspective when I read Anansi Boys. Both stories are very metaphorical, which is Gaiman’s style when it comes to writing his stories. It seems that Gaiman always strives to compare things to one another. Such as, when Shadow has his altercation with the god of technology, Gaiman is almost saying that “language is a virus” and that “religion is an operating system” and that “prayers are just so much fucking spam” (51). By doing this within his writing, it sets up who the character is to the reader, which I enjoy. Also, an example of this is when Spider and Charlie, in Anansi Boys, lose their father, he contrasts masculinity and being a physical island, stating that “no man is an island” (106). Also, by adding this, he is adding emphasis and emotion, saying that men can also show a weaker side, especially when something as drastic as losing a parent occurs. I’m a fan of Gaiman, I’ve only read two books from him but I can say that I enjoyed both stories equally. I believe that most other authors don’t really go into as much great detail as Gaiman. For Gaiman, he can describe something so little as, a cup of water, so greatly that it makes that cup of water interesting and intriguing. I enjoy that Gaiman creates a certain atmosphere in his novels, especially Anansi Boys and American Gods. I think I enjoy his writing style so much because in a way it relates to my own artwork. Gaiman can play with phrasing and wording to speak to readers directly, whether that be emotionally or mentally. To me, his work is subtle while also sliding in important issues or discussions in his stories. For me, when I make photos I am always trying to show a narrative and trying to create something others can relate to and maybe see that other people are out there like them. I also, always try to be subtle because for me, making work that has whatever issue is being talked about thrown in viewers faces, it’s just tacky and cheesy.           

1 comment:

  1. I was interested in how you related Gaiman's approach to your own in making photos. This resulted in some effective observations about Gaiman's work generally.

    ReplyDelete