Saturday, April 4, 2020

Snow Crash Response

Snow Crash was a really great read, in my opinion. I loved the comparison and the possibility of science fiction as fiction. I loved the deadpan humor Stephenson keeps in the story, because for me, it kept the story smooth and an easy read considering it’s a science related story (something I don’t typically choose to read). I thought it was so interesting how Stephenson viewed the future, such as there being one world (America) full of suburbia, all identical and the government is so small yet still inefficient. And to think of the internet as something completely different, Metaverse, in which you can access a virtual world as an avatar, however you want to look. To me, it’s not too far off of where the internet is heading in real life. From games like, The Sims, in which is being considered to become a free/open world gameplay for its 5th installment, it’s very similar to what Stephenson wrote about in terms of the Metaverse. It’s almost crazy to think that a science fiction story can be so relatable in terms of where our world is heading today. I also really appreciated the character development in this story and the fact that every character crosses paths at some point. To me, having every character interact at some point without knowing too much of every person’s interests or loyalties, it keeps the suspense of the story and really brings the reader in to be fully invested in each character’s storyline. Although, my only critique of this story was the lack of development within the virus, such as I wanted to know more, like, what is, how it came about and what danger comes with it? I think Stephenson focused too much on explaining what exactly it is that he loses it and it’s hardly a conflict. But to me, especially now when reading this story, it would have been a really interesting idea to discuss. However, Stephenson’s descriptions of what the world has come to, was compelling enough and had me fully invested for the entire read. I love that he balances between his dead pan humor and making a social comment, combining something serious with some type of humor to cope. The story may at times fall apart because of time and it being maybe too simple or too predictable, although for me it was still an exciting read!  

2 comments:

  1. Avalon, I agree, I like it when authors implement comedy in their writing, but then add a serious social note to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead-pan humor is one of my favorite types of humor as well; although I'm curious why the story is called "Snow Crash". Is it the name of this virus? Or did something crash in the snow?

    ReplyDelete